Irish Tech Goes Carbon Neutral 2020 is an initiative by Forestry Partners, a social enterprise founded in 2019 by John Beckett, bringing together leading industry figures alongside climate, forestry and biodiversity experts to deliver an ambitious strategic plan, with the following targets for our first year in 2020:
- 250 businesses working together
- At least 25,000 tons of carbon dioxide equivalent (tCO2e) offsets created in Ireland
- 200 acres of trees planted or committed.
Ireland is falling significantly behind target on commitments made under the 2015 Paris Agreement. According to the 2019 Climate Change Performance Index (CCPI), Ireland is the worst performer in Europe and among the worst performers globally. We believe this is unacceptable – there’s no reason we can’t be a global leader.
We believe that by working together Irish business can make a significant contribution to improving Ireland’s performance through the creation of large areas of new native woodlands. Our plan will have meaningful impact:
- Capture carbon dioxide from the atmosphere
- Protect & restore native Irish woodlands
- Foster biodiversity and create vital wildlife habitats
No tech/business community has come together in this way anywhere in the world. We believe this campaign is the first step to transitioning Ireland to become a global leader in the fight against climate change, led by the private sector in an inclusive, meaningful and enjoyable way while creating a lasting legacy of restored Irish woodlands.
Research by Imperial College London and the International Carbon Reduction and Offset Alliance (ICROA) found that for every one ton of carbon offset, $664 of benefits are delivered to communities, infrastructure and biodiversity.
This initiative aligns with seven of the seventeen UN Strategic Development Goals – specifically:
- Goal 3: Good Health and Well-being
- Goal 6: Clean Water and Sanitation
- Goal 8: Decent Work and Economic Growth
- Goal 11: Sustainable Cities and Communities
- Goal 13: Climate Action
- Goal 14: Life Below Water
- Goal 15: Life on Land